There are two ways you can file for divorce online in Texas. One way is to use an online divorce service that will generate the required divorce forms for you and then submit them online. Another way is to use Texas’s eFile system offered through the district court, which allows you to generate and submit the required divorce forms yourself.
Is Texas Divorce Online Legit?
In Texas, online divorce is a legal and effective method of marriage termination for couples who agree on all issues of their divorce. Spouses filing for uncontested divorce online can end their relationship efficiently without hiring attorneys and participating in multiple court hearings.
So, do online divorce work in Texas? Yes, it is an option for partners who agreed on property division, child custody and support, spousal support, etc.
Who Can Get an Online Divorce in Texas?
To file for divorce in Texas online is more convenient and affordable than traditional court proceedings. However, couples must meet the following requirements to apply for a divorce online.
- Spouse’s Whereabouts Are Known. You should know the location of your spouse to ensure proper legal notification and document serving. If a spouse cannot be found, it is unlikely you may file for online divorce.
- Divorce Is Uncontested. Online divorces are meant for uncontested cases where both parties agree on the terms of marriage termination. Otherwise, spouses will have to participate in a traditional offline divorce process.
- Living in Texas for at Least 6 Months. According to Texas laws, a filing spouse must reside in the state for at least six months before initiating a divorce.
- The Parties Can Cooperate. Cooperation between spouses is paramount for a smooth online divorce. If they aren’t willing to negotiate various aspects of marriage termination, their divorce is contested.
- No Domestic Violence. Online divorce processes are uncommon for cases involving domestic violence. If it is present in a marital relationship, it is important to prioritize safety and seek legal assistance to ensure proper protection and representation of a filing spouse.
- No Hidden Assets. Full financial disclosure is crucial in divorce proceedings. Failure to disclose assets properly can lead to complications in the divorce process.
How to File for Divorce Online in Texas?
To initiate a divorce in Texas online, you have to:
- Make sure you meet the residency requirements to file for divorce online in Texas.
- Prepare and complete forms. You can do it yourself or use a certified document generation service.
- Submit the filled-out forms through an online platform.
- Pay the filing fee of $20.
- Serve the other party.
- Wait till the judge signs a Final Decree of Divorce.
Online Divorce Services
You can speed up your marriage dissolution by addressing online divorce assistance services in Texas. However, it may take some time till you find a reliable one among dozens of options.
Our online divorce service in Texas provides a comprehensive solution for couples seeking a quick online divorce. We understand that marriage termination can be a complicated and emotionally challenging experience, and our goal is to make it easier for our customers. With our help, you will receive a full set of divorce forms for your uncontested case and detailed filing instructions. We ensure all the documents we provide are court-approved, up-to-date, and correspond to the legal requirements.
Interactive Self-help Divorce Guides (Efiletexas)
Interactive Self-help Divorce Guides, commonly known as eFileTexas, is an online platform designed to assist individuals in navigating the divorce process in Texas. Using this tool, couples can access and complete divorce forms online, view instructional videos, and read informative articles about divorce.
While eFileTexas can simplify the divorce process, it has some potential disadvantages. First, the completed forms may be filled out incorrectly or lack some important information and will be rejected by the clerk. Or, if the judge notices some mistakes in documents during a hearing, you’ll have to redo the paperwork.
Moreover, self-help divorce guides may not work properly in complex cases where specific divorce forms are required, so you’ll have to search for legal assistance.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I File for an Online Divorce with Kids in Texas?
Yes, if you and your spouse have agreed on a visitation schedule, child support, and custody, you may apply for an uncontested, full-agreement, no-fault divorce online.
How Long Does an Online Divorce Take?
An uncontested online divorce usually takes 2-4 months on average.
Can I File for Divorce Online in Texas Free?
In Texas, it is unlikely that filing for divorce online will be completely free. While some online platforms offer cheap assistance with divorce forms, you still need to cover the court fees.
Elizabeth Lopez is a former legal assistant and now a licensed social worker with a master’s degree from The University of Michigan. Having over six years of experience in the field, she covers topics on mental health, marriage therapy, and the divorce process. Elizabeth is a regular contributor to divorce blogs like sasforwomen.com and marriage.com and is planning to start her own professional blog.